Name:
Location: Crescent City, California, United States

I love to make things with my hands. My current passions are knitting and spinning.

Monday, February 06, 2006


Seeing Red

I know we all have those days when everything you attempt to do just doesn't turn out quite right. Well, I had one of those weeks. I thought I would start a new pair of socks, and went to my LYS to pick up some yarn. They only had 2- 50 gm balls of the yarn I liked with red in it. I should have known that wouldn't be enough. This is how far I got with one ball. The picture doesn't quite do it justice, but I really like the yarn. It is basically red with hints of yellow, blue, green, and navy blue. The owner of the LYS didn't think they would be getting any more of this yarn, and I spent a bit of time searching for a site on the web that sold this brand (King brand, Stampato Extra, 100% Australian Merino) but didn't have any luck. I just noticed this morning that the label has a phone # for the distributor in the USA and Canada, so I will try that and hopefully hit paydirt. This yarn is very soft and great to work with, and the sock feels thick and wonderful. Wish me luck on finding enough to finish the pair of socks. (Update: I called the number on the label and they gave me the name of a distributer in Canada that has the yarn and the same lot number. I should be receiving some yarn to finish the socks in a few weeks!!!! Yeah!!!Persistence pays off.)

Meanwhile, I guess I'll use the Opal fingerweight yarn from my stash to make a pair of socks. I think I'll keep it pretty basic for this month since I have alot going on at work.

I recently had a birthday, and my friends and family seem to know exactly what to get me. I received several gift certificates to my LYS and was able to purchase yarn for the Bookworm Tunic in the Better Homes and Gardens book Hip Knits. The yarn I chose for this is a red tweed worsted weight by Galway Colornep, and is a wool, polyester blend. Stay tuned to wee how this sweater turns out.

I also received several other books. America Knits has some very interesting stories of designers across the US. I especially liked the Latvian mittens designed by Lizbeth Upitis, and of course, the La Plata socks by Nancy Bush.
Wish me luck with the sock knitting this week!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home