Name:
Location: Crescent City, California, United States

I love to make things with my hands. My current passions are knitting and spinning.

Wednesday, April 07, 2010

Since I posted 2 weeks ago, I have finished the Flirty Tank, now I just need to block it. I am starting my stretch of 12-hour shifts tomorrow. After that we are leaving on vacation, so it probably won't get blocked until we get back home. I am also almost done with the Christmas lap quilt, I just need to finish hand sewing the edge of the binding!
I feel good about how I have started this year- digging up old projects and finishing new ones. But since we are going to be going on a road trip, and I can't have idle hands, I have to get a few light projects ready for the road.
The first project is a pair of socks out of Limerick, color #31808. The color is a bit brighter than my picture. I think the color is sooo pretty (you can see it better in the second picture).
The pattern I am using is the Cable Twist Socks from Hello Yarn. If you go here and scroll down almost to the bottom of the page, you will see the free pattern. It is an easy stitch, and adds some fun to your sock making!

My other project is a pattern that is also by Hello Yarn (Fiddlehead Mittens), imagine that! If you go here, you can see a great picture of the pattern and the different colors that you can use. I bought this pattern maybe about 1 year ago, and even though it isn't really winter anymore (in most parts of the country) I am ready to knit these mittens! I can't wait to see how they turn out. I cast on for them last night and learned something new. I have done I-cord before, but this was an I-cord cast-on edge. I am impressed by the way that it looks- very finished. With the liner, it will be like knitting 2 pairs of gloves. Maybe my hands will finally be toasty.

I have also been playing with my spinning. My sister has been saving fur for me that she gets from combing her Persian cat. The fur feels like angora rabbit. So, after discussing it with a spinning pal, and a spinning group on Ravelry, I mixed it with some nice Merino cross fiber on my hand cards, and spun up a small sample.

It has a very nice hand to it. Now I need to set the twist and knit up a sample to see how it behaves. Again, that will probably have to wait until we get back from our trip.

I think the yarn might develop a bit of a halo after washing and knitting with it. I can't wait to see what happens!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home