Name:
Location: Crescent City, California, United States

I love to make things with my hands. My current passions are knitting and spinning.

Monday, March 02, 2009

Long time, no blog....

I knew it had been about 2 weeks since I last blogged, but when I looked at my last entry today, I realized it has been almost a month. It didn't help that I was out of town for work for about 1 1/2 weeks. I am back home now, and other that having to do FAFSA applications for the 2 youngest boys, and college entrance paperwork for youngest, I am hoping life will be somewhat "normal." My definition of normal has changed over the years, and "normal" seems to be slightly less hectic than "crazy busy"!!
While I was out of town for work-related "stuff" I stayed with my son in Sacramento. He was calling me his own personal "Economic Stimulus Package." I wonder if he had an empty fridge on purpose so that Mom would feel sorry for him (who wouldn't feel sorry for a poor starving student?) and fill it up with food (that is what Moms do best, feed people!). I also helped him finish unpacking some boxes from his last move in Nov. and clean things up a little. For an 18 year old boy, the place didn't look too bad. It sure was nice to see him, and know that he appreciates everything we do for him....and to get caught up on my hugs and kisses!!
I did finish the Tyrolean Stockings. They were a faster knit than I thought they would be, and, of course, I loved doing the cable work. Now I need something like a jeans skirt and some nice clogs to wear them with and show them off.
Specifications:
Pattern - Tyrolean Stockings by Ann Budd from the Knits-Spring 2007 issue
Yarn - Cleckheaton Country 8 ply, 3 + a little of a 4th skein.
Needles - Addi Turbo, US size 3
Time to complete - a little over 3 weeks.
On my way down to Sacramento, I had to stop at the Boll Weaver Yarns in Eureka. It was good timing. She had 2 washed fleeces for sale, but the one that caught my eye and made me drool with the buttery softness of it, was a white Corriedale/Merino cross. I made myself stop at 2 pounds. Now, the big decision is whether to spin it and then try to dye it; or dye it first and then spin it?? Does anybody out there have an opinion??
I also bought some dyed top quality Merino in 2 different colors that the owner had dyed.....
(sorry, that is the best I could get on the color today),.... and some Corriedale roving that was hand-dyed by Carin Engen from Garberville.
When I was in Sacramento, I had to stop by Babetta's Yarn and Gifts. They had some beautiful hand-dyed silk hankies. They weren't labeled well, but they were with some hand-dyed roving from Chasing Rainbows, and if you go here and look at the "Tartan" colorway, that is what I purchased. I also bought some un-dyed silk caps and 5 different colors of Jacquard acid dyes to play with!
I even bought some yarn there, Berroco Palace, 2 skeins, color #8909 (50% merino/50%silk) to knit a hat.
On Feb. 26th and 27th, I attended a conference. It was very educational and the speaker very knowledgeable. So on Saturday, I was ready for another shopping fix, and found Filati Fine Yarns in Rocklin. They have a very nice store with some very fine yarns. They also have allot of knit samples that are very inspiring. I found some creamy lace weight yarn by Filatura Di Crossa that is 70%cashmere and 30% silk to knit a lighter that air lace scarf with. I also bought some Baby Cashmerino by Debbie Bliss to make the Twisted Stitch Gauntlets from Knits - Holiday 2007 issue.
I truly need some help, I am soo addicted to knitting and spinning.......oh well, it could be worse. And with the failing economy, if I run out of money, I have enough projects to last me a very, very long time!!! I am lucky my husband is so supportive (and doesn't know where I hide all the yarn!)

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home