Name:
Location: Crescent City, California, United States

I love to make things with my hands. My current passions are knitting and spinning.

Sunday, March 09, 2008

Spinning to my heart's content...

After a month long hiatus, I have resumed my spinning classes to improve my skills. I had a lesson on March 7th and learned how to spin from the fold. I need to spin 2 bobbins before my next class on the 15th. I work 8-5 all next week and have an evening class on Tues. Hopefully I will get at least one bobbin done today, and have enough time th rest of the week to complete the other one. I'm not sure if I like spinning from the fold, only because I'm having a little trouble keeping the fibers on my index finger, and then my finger wants to cramp! I'm sure it will get easier with practice.

This is the cormo that I spun and plied last Friday. I believe my skills are improving quite a bit. This fiber has some nice little flecks of black that make it look very homepsun. I toying with the idea of experimenting with hand dying on this fiber.
I have also been spinning up some Wensleydale roving from a bump that I bought before Christmas. I still have a couple of ounces left to spin.
I'm very excited about next weekend. We will be learning about fiber preparation and learning how to sort a fleece - whoo-hoo!! When I told my husband about this class, he thought I was crazy - why would anyone want to do that? I guess he had a bad experience when he was younger and had to help his grandparents with their sheep.

Last weekend we went to Roseburg, Oregon to see a play. On the way home we took the coast route and stopped for lunch and shopping in Bandon. I got to stop at the Wool Company and got some beautiful roving. It is from Ashland Bay Trading Co. The dark blue is 80%wool and 20%silk, the rest is 100%wool. I can't wait to spin it!
I have also been working on the Auburn Camp Shirt. See my pics of my progress here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home