Name:
Location: Crescent City, California, United States

I love to make things with my hands. My current passions are knitting and spinning.

Sunday, March 22, 2009

On and Off the Needles, Wheel, Bookshelf, etc.

Projects off the sewing machine ...............
When I went to see my mom and sis last November, I offered to finish (I mean MAKE) pillow shams to match quilts that I made for them several years ago. None of us have been sewing much lately and have been concentrating our creative talents elsewhere. It was a difficult project for several reasons:
1. I am rusty on my sewing skills, and cutting things out with a rotary cutter.
2. It was hard for me to make myself sit down and sew with so many other projects calling my name.
3. I had to be very careful with cutting things out, as there wasn't as much fabric of the right size to use.

All I can say is IT IS DONE !!!!! I sure hope they are happy with their shams. I know it will make their beds look more "finished". I do feel good that the project is completed and I can cross it off my list.
On the Needles:
In between other things, I started on a pair of generic socks for my MIL who really appreciates handmade socks. They had some sock yarn on sale at the LYS and I couldn't resist. I'm almost ready to start the heel on the second sock.
Also on the needles:
Theis is the left front of the Printed Silk Cardigan from Interweave Knits Spring 2008 issue (after you click on the link, just scroll down to the pattern). I am finishing up the armhole, then the shoulder decreases and piece #2 will be done!
Off the needles.....
Project specs:
Pattern: Striped Hat from the book Baby Cashmerino 2 by Debbie Bliss.
Yarn: Oceanside Organic 100% cotton by Plymouth Earth, colors #1 and #4
Needles: U.S. #3, Addi Turbo Circulars, and Brittany DPNs
Made for : A friend at work who is due to have her baby in about 3 weeks.
Time to knit: About 1/2 a day.
Comments: It was fun to make a hat with stripes. The pattern directions were to knit the hat flat and then seem it....well I knit it in the round so I have a jogs on my stripes. Oh well, now they know which side goes in the back!!
I have also been spending alot of time at the wheel, trying to increase my inventory of yarns to sell. I was thinking that I would have yarns ready to sell at the local Farmer's Market when it opened up again for the summer, but with my other full time job and duties at home, I was wondering how I would be able to do all that.

Anywhooooo....I talked to my friends/owners at the LYS and they are more than willing to sell the yarn there. The store is right on HWY 101 and they get tourists that pass through and want something that was made locally. Here is a little mix of what I have been spinning.
Here is what is on the wheel right now:

It is Corriedale pencil roving that I purchased at Black Sheep Gathering about 3 yrs. ago.

On the bookshelf:
World Without End by Ken Follett. I have been waiting for this book to come out in paperback. I actually gave it to DH for his birthday. We both fell in love with Pillars of the Earth and were anxious to read the sequel. Well, he finished the book in less than 2 weeks. It will probably take me 2 months since I mostly just read at night when I go to bed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home