Name:
Location: Crescent City, California, United States

I love to make things with my hands. My current passions are knitting and spinning.

Thursday, September 21, 2006

One Tangled sock done.....



...and one to go. As you can see from the pictures, I took the easy way out on the foot part of the sock. When I tried the sock on, I could barely get it over my heel, and then only with alot of manipulation and tugging. I was warned that this could happen when doing fair isle knitting on a sock. So the solution (as suggested by a friend) was to do the foot in only one color so that it is stretchier. I decided doing the toe in the lime green might help tie it all together, what do you think?


This pattern had a different decrease for the toe. Instead of decreasing at the beginning and end of the top and bottom, you start out with knit 7, then k2tog for the whole row. Every other row you knit 1 less before you do the k2tog. This is the same method as on the baby hats that I just did. The toe is much rounder and I think it will fit my foot better than the traditional decreases for toes.

If you haven't seen the latest Knitty edition, you need to check it out. There is a pattern for a pair of fair isle socks - Red Herring that I think I would like to try some day. The pattern says that the leg of the sock is knit larger than the foot to help avoid the problem that I had with a tight fit over the heel.

I really enjoy the Knitty magazine. They always have several sock patterns to choose from, and there is usually at least one fancy pair of socks. Some of the clothing patterns are very interesting, i.e. this "intolerable cruelty." I don't know many people older than 20 that would be able to wear a skrt like that - I know that my hips are too "generous" to be able to wear it, Besides the fact that the fashion police would have me cuffed and in the slammer for even attempting it. I really like this wrap sweater, especially the color and the cables at the hem and cuffs. I think I will add it to my wish list of sweaters that I would like to knit some day. I also like the Mariah sweater from a past issue, again probably because I love sweaters and cables. Viveka looks like a very comfortable sweater, especially if done in a very soft yarn like maybe a Debbie Bliss - cashmerino baby??

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home