Name:
Location: Crescent City, California, United States

I love to make things with my hands. My current passions are knitting and spinning.

Monday, August 13, 2007

I "Got 'er done"

Yes, the Arwen Cardigan is finally done. Hurrah!! I "Got 'er done" on Thursday 8-9-07, and I'm so happy, yeah, I'm sooo happy!! I love the yarn I used- it is so soft. I love the color - one of my favorites. I like having the hood. Okay, the specs.............

YARN: Debbie Bliss, cashmerino aran, 14 skeins, color #24.
PATTERN: A Cardigan for Arwen, Winter 2006 issue of Interweave Knits.
NEEDLES: U.S. Size 7 and 8 Addi Turbo circulars.
Started Jan. 2007, finished August 9, 2007 (didn't work on the sweater from the 1st week of June through Aug. 4th).

If I were to ever knit another sweater like this, I think the only changes I would make would be to add 3-4 inches to the length, and maybe add an inch to the upper arm circumference. I don't think I will mind that it doesn't have any buttons, since I don't usually button my cardigans anyways. I really do feel a sense of accomplishment in finishing this sweater, and I really learned about cables (and how to fix them when you get them turned around!). I think this is a sweater my future daughter-in-law might like, hmmmm, maybe someday in the future. I know she would appreciate the work involved in it.

On Friday I met a friend at a gathering for spinners/knitters/weavers/crafty women. I had talked with my friend A about maybe taking a spinning class together "someday" after finding out that she has a spinning wheel and wanted to learn more about how to use it. She found out about this group that meets on Fridays, and that there was a woman that would be willing to share a little of her knowledge about spinning with us. Sally was very kind, patient and accomadating about sharing with us. I had played with a spinning wheel once in June when hubby and I went to Eugene, but I just couldn't get it to go in the right direction, or get the hang of drafting the fibers. After learning about our interest in spinning, Sally went back home and brought a Louet spinning wheel for me to practice with. After several attempts, I actually spun some yarn!!

Sally even let me take her wheel home with me so that I could practice some more. I was supposed to spin some yarn on a second bobbin so that I would then learn how to ply the yarn. Well, I got home and was so excited about learning something new, that I spun all the grey fiber onto one spindle. Ooops! Anyhoo, another spinner is going to come over after I get off work tomorrow. She has fiber from her lambs and alpacas and also sells and rents spinning wheels. Here we go... I love to learn new things! I also love the idea of making an item of clothing out of yarn that you spin yourself. I don't know if I am good enough with animals to actually raise the critters that I get the fiber from.


As you can see, I still need to practice getting the fiber to actually wind the correct way onto the bobbin. While I was browsing the internet, I found this great site with tutorials on spinning. If you are interested, go check out The Joy of Handspinning.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Lizzy said...

I love that cardigan - great work ! It is definitely on my list of things to knit, although it is a very long list.
I agree about the Debbie Bliss yarn being wonderful. Actually, I love most of her yarns and they come in such lovely colours

1:09 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home