Name:
Location: Crescent City, California, United States

I love to make things with my hands. My current passions are knitting and spinning.

Sunday, April 06, 2008

Fiber Candy!!

It's definitely time for a photo update. I have been making more baby presents when I need a break from heavy knitting. My latest endeavor is diaper soakers for a friend's grandchild. They are quick and easy to knit and there are alot of free patterns on the net (of course!). I have been using the pattern from Fern and Faerie. The cuffs for the legs look knida silly the way that they stick straight out, but I have seen other soakers that look just like these......
The specs: Pattern: Fern and Faerie free hand-knit diaper soaker pattern.
Yarn: Mission Falls 1824 wool, 100% merino superwash in color 664
Needles: Size 5 and 7 wooden DPN's
Satisfaction for a quick and easy knit that will be well used and appreciated - PRICELESS!

On Friday the 4th, I had my last fiber preparation class. I ended up with plenty of fiber to spin and many different methods to practice. I learned how to make hand carded rolags and batts, drum carded batts, how to make roving and rolags from drum carded batts, and how to spin from a batt.
I am really excited about all the possibilities with mixing colors on the drum carder also. I was supposed to help a friend and learn how to dye yarn in the process, but we have had a hard time getting together with our different schedules. I had to buy some fiber while I was st the store for my lesson. There was this merino that was hand dyed - most of it is yellow, but it also has some light pink in it.
I also hand carded a little bit of hand dyed mohair locks that I had purchased several years ago. I think this will be beautiful spun up!
I have also made some progress on the back of the Auburn Camp Shirt. Monica, one of the participants in the KAL for this shirt, was kind enough to make a button for the site - you can see it in my sidebar. We will also soon be able to post picture updates on Flickr thanks to Monica.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home